Friday 13 August 2010

Natural Dyes

Recently a group of us got together for a wonderful day dyeing our handspun yarns with natural dyes. It was my first attempt at this process and I'm really pleased with the colours we achieved.

I always believe the best way to learn any craft is to have a go; be "hands on"and with the skills, experience and knowledge generously shared by the dyers in the group, I learnt so much.

I used some sample skeins of my own handspun Jacob fleece along with some grey fleece I spun earlier in the year and some Angora kid yarn.



The whole process was done outside on a charcoal and wood fire.



The natural material was various plant materials of bark, leaves eg. rosemary (which smelt wonderful while boiling!)


Mordants and assistants were used.



The colours are so lovely and as they are all natural they always sit well together - just as in nature, I can't wait to get my knitting needles clicking up a new design.




No comments:

Post a Comment