Thursday 29 March 2012

Wool and Willow



We have just spend a relaxing few days holidaying in Somerset. Glorious Spring sunshine for the whole of our stay allowed us to fully enjoy the wonderful countryside. We stayed on a farm in a beautifully converted Coach House.
The farm has a small flock of Jacob sheep. Here are some of the expectant Mums, lambs due any day now.

The farmer has just had the first delivery of mill spun wool from the Jacob fleeces. She had all the colours blended together and this has produced a shade of soft grey yarn. This being a new venture for her I was thrilled to lend my support and purchase some yarn for my knitting and weaving projects. It is particularly good to meet the flock, know where they live and of course buy British wool.



On one of our days out we walked the Willow & Wetlands and visited
http://www.englishwillowbaskets.co.uk/

A British company that is growing and weaving willow. I spotted in their visitors centre and museum a very old spinning wheel but more interestingly a woven basket named a "Crealagh" which is used to store fleece ready to spin. I think it is so lovely, simple in design, functional and aesthetically pleasing. It is important to store natural fibres in natural containers so as the air can circulate and keep them fresh. (I store my fleece in hessian bags).
Sadly they didn't have any such items available in the shop, but I'm sure I could order one be spoke!


However I did treat myself to this pretty little willow basket which I will use for my carded "ready to spin" fibres.
Wool and Willow.
Lovely reminders of a great holiday!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, amz here (from folksy) what a lovely post! what lovely weather for a holiday, but also lovely to see and support local handmade products! x

    ReplyDelete